Before you start volunteer work there are some things it might be helpful to be aware of:
- There are LOTS of different volunteer opportunities. Don’t restrict yourself to think of one or two types of positions;
- As a volunteer you will have both rights and responsibilities. The organisation will also! Make sure you are clear about these;
- Undertake an induction as part of your role. This may vary from online to a hard copy or verbal. It may take 1/2 hour or several days depending upon the organisation. This should prepare you for volunteer work;
- Many (but not all) organisations require a police check and referee check before you start;
- Most organisations will have some red tape. Please be patient. This is in place to ensure the organisation completes their duty of care
- Last, but definitely not least, Enjoy yourself!
Bridge to Volunteering
If you have never volunteered before, or feel uncomfortable. NVSA has a program called ‘Bridge to Volunteering’. This program is ideally suited for someone who wants to ease into volunteering, if you are not feeling comfortable volunteering, or want a little extra assistance in some way.
You will be matched up with a mentor; join a small class of maximum 10 people taken by one of our quality facilitators; and start volunteering in an organisation and position of your choice.
Bridge to Volunteering starts at different times of the year. Inquire for more details